The 2014 World Cup in Brazil definitely had it’s memorable moments, and some are even titling it as The Best World Cup ever!! As we’re feeling a little bit empty now that it’s over, we have decided to put together a list of our favourite/most memorable moments of this years World Cup.
1. The best reaction to scoring goal goes to John Brooks. Against Ghana, the American scored in the 86th minute during his competitive international debut. His reaction was an emotional one.
2. Tim Howard made an incredible 16 saves for the United States against Belgium. Though it ultimately came in a losing effort, it was one of the greatest World Cup goalkeeping performances of all time.
3. That bite. After a skillful display against England, unfortunately Suarez’s appearances in the 2014 World Cup will be because of the wrong reasons. One bite, lead to a 4 month ban from anything football….or something along those lines.
4. Louis Van Gaal and his fantastic substituting of goalkeepers. The first, being in the 120th minute against Costa Rica, Van Gaal made the brave decision of substituting Jasper Cillessen for Tim Krul. Who then went on to become Holland’s penalty shoot-out hero. The second substitution he made was in the play-off for 3rd place against Brazil. Jasper Cillessen is bought off and replaced by Michel Vorm for the last couple of minutes. It meantVan Gaal used all 23 of his players at this World Cup. What a hero.
5. Van Persie momentarily turning into a bird. The Dutchmans goal against Spain was definitely one of the best of the tournament, the long ball and finishing header were just spectacular.
6. Who knew that drawing a line could ever be so fascinating. The introduction of the referees ‘magic spray’ this tournament created a new conversation piece in pubs and bars across the world. Used to mark out the correct distance the wall should stand from the ball at free kicks, the natty disappearing foam took the World Cup by storm.
7. Tim Cahill’s volley. Another contender for goal of the month, Tim Cahill scored a stunning volley against Holland. According to Ronaldo ‘it was the best goal of the World Cup and it’s going to go down in history as one of the most beautiful World Cup goals’ Tim Cahill has scored in three World Cups for Australia; no other Australian has done so in more than one tournament.
8. Miroslav Klose gains a new title. World Cup’s all-time leading scorer…..then went on to add World Cup winner to his list. Definitely had a good tournament.
9. Germany vs Brazil. Annihilation. Germany’s 7-1 win was the biggest margin of victory ever seen in a World Cup semi-final and they were the first team to score this many goals in the semi-finals.
10. Mario Götze’s World Cup winning goal in extra time. Mario Götze is the first substitute to score a winning goal in the World Cup final. Mario Götze is the youngest scorer of a goal in a World Cup final since Wolfgang Weber in 1966 (22 years, 33 days).